Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Marketing--Or Not

OK, so a little over two weeks have gone by, and the piles of books are significantly diminished, thanks to my friends and relatives. Of course--(of course? What kind of business woman am I?)--I couldn't bring myself to charge my closest friends and relatives--the people who supported me all through the writing process, could I? Then again, I couldn't afford to purchase books for them all, which is what giving them away would amount to. Compromise: I sold them at cost.

Two weeks later, I realize that was a mistake. The book retails for $15.95. Forget the 95--who wants to deal with change? Besides, I think anything over $15 for a 225 page book is unreasonable. So I'm charging $15, and anyone reading this who wishes to get a signed copy can e-mail me at belbook@g.mail.com to order a copy--for $15 plus $2 for shipping. (Actual shipping is $2 plus change depending on where.) I'll throw in the tax--and the handling.

Right there is one of the problems with my decision to charge friends and family a mere $11, which includes my cost of the book, the charge for shipping the book to me, and NYS tax.
Fine. I may recoup the purchase price of the books. But what about the cost of publishing the book in the first place? What about advertising costs?--I ordered terrific refrigerator magnets (if you order a book from me, I'll throw in a magnet,) I ran off great fliers to place wherever anyone will let me place them. It all costs. So does the postage. It seems that half the people I know live
all over the country--anywhere but where I can simply hand them a book.

Then there are the free copies--there are people I owe--for so many reasons. People who have done things for me and--how can I charge them anything? A book is small payment for what these people have contributed to my life. So....free.

Now, if you're reading this, and you've received an $11 or free book, not to worry. No need to feel guilty. In point of fact, I wrote Perchance to Feast for fun, and published it for the pleasure of sharing a story my pre-publication readers found enjoyable. There is, however, one thing you can do for me. If you actually read the book you bought, and if you enjoy it, please spread the word. The only way this book is going to sell is by word of mouth--Or by reviews posted on Amazon.com and BN.com. If you have something good to say, SAY IT! In every way you can, to as many people as you can. On the other hand, if you don't like the book--and many people won't--a lot of people purchased the book who I know would never pick up a work of contemporary fantasy if it weren't written by a friend. This is quirky stuff, and not everyone's cup of tea. Or feast--so if it's not yours, kindly keep your mouth closed! (Be honest with me--just don't broadcast it.)

Making money was never an object. Losing money was always a possibility--hell no--a probability. Realistically, what I've spent on this book is within the range of what I could afford to spend on a hobby--certainly less than many of my more athletically inclined friends spend on golf or skiing.

If you're reading this with an eye toward self-publication of your own work, here's what I've learned so far:
1. Never spend more on self-publishing (or anything, for that matter,) than you can afford to lose.
2. Select one price, and charge everyone the same thing.
3. Don't procrastinate--get going on marketing from day 1. (A marketing plan sitting on your desk doesn't count.)
4. Unless you're a born salesperson, or are writing a nonfiction book and have a built in platform, view self-publishing as a hobby.
5. Find the fun! Feast!

No comments: