Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Marketing Woes

Flying duck feathers!! Nothing seems to be working when it comes to letting people know my book is out there. All these great ideas I had!

I tried a service organization I've been active in for years. "Sorry"--would violate their constitution for me to sell books at meetings, even when my intent is to give them at least fifty percent of my profit. Huh??? Can't leave a few copies at their thrift shop either, again, with profit-sharing. What do they have to lose? I'm totally befuddled. On the plus side, they did say I could be the speaker at a meeting, which I jumped on. But they haven't scheduled it yet. Have to have more meetings. We'll see...

Then there are libraries. I donated copies to three, then asked if I could do a reading. Whoops! Went about it backwards. Could have saved two books. One library said they don't do readings--and not only that--before they put my book out, they had to be sure it's "appropriate for their collection." Other than advocating treason, teaching terrorism, or blatent obscenity, what criteria are there for censoring what is offered in a public library?

The librarian at the second library was more honest. She's love to do a reading--she really would. She's done so many in the past. But they were--how could she say it? "Embarrassing," she blurted. "No one came." So. "No." She was tired of being embarrassed. Tired of being the only one in the audience besides a few of the writer's friends who had already read the book.

The next libarian I approached was delighted to have my book, and receptive to the idea of a reading--but the librarian thought it would draw more people if several authors were to speak. No problem. Four of the other women in my peer writers' group are published authors--and most of the remaining five are working on novels or collections with an eye toward publication. "Terrific," the librarian indicated, "let's schedule for the summer, when more people tend to come out." OK. So I have a gig. Again, with no date. "Call back in May." You can be sure I will!

So I have two possible, maybe, perchance, dates. Will let you know if/when...

Also on the plus side, the local American Cancer Society allowed me to place fliers in their office, in exchange for profit-sharing. Well--more than profit sharing. When it comes to the ACS, all I want to do is recoup my investment. They can have the profit. They deserve it. As a breast cancer survivor, I owe them. Big time.

Also on the plus side--my fish store owner, who barely has room for his own merchandise, took a bunch of magnets advertising Perchance to Feast. (Did I mention that I invested in refrigerator magnets--and that the smallest quantity I could get was 1,000?!) He even said he'd make space for the book. I left him with a pile of magnets, but after some thought--Would anyone like to buy a pound of salmon and a nice yellow book? I think I'll leave 2 when I shop next week, and see what happens...

Meanwhile, there's this blog. Does anyone read it? Please--if you did, let me know at
belbook1@gmail.com. It would be nice to know whether there's life at the other end of cyberspace, or if I'm wasting time talking to myself.

Reminder--If you want a copy of Perchance to Feast, it's available at iUniverse.com, BN.com, Amazon.com, or an autographed copy from me at
belbook1@gmail.com, for $15, all inclusive.

No comments: